Saturday, August 29, 2009

Resolving Interpersonal Conflict

Interpersonal conflict is a situation in which one or both parties in a relationship are experiencing difficulty in communicating with each other. This arises due to the different needs, goals or styles. Conflict occurs at all levels of interactions – at work (the infamous ‘office politics’), among friends, within families and of course, between you and your partner. Conflict can both be destructive and productive, depending on the way you choose to resolve it. Choosing the wrong technique will destroy a relationship whereas the right one will lead to deeper understanding, mutual respect and closeness. There are many ways to confront a conflict: openly, ignore it, suppress it or withdraw from the situation.

I came across this scenario when I was watching a show on cable television.

Scenario:

A is the founder of a listed company. As it is a family business, A hopes that his only son, B, will be able to inherit the company and be his successor. However, B aspires to be a hairstylist, an occupation his dad thinks that the future is bleak. A thinks that only by working in a big firm will his son be successful.

B continued to work under A but no matter how many chances A gave him to perform, he was unable to live up to A’s expectations. B had tried his utmost best but A thinks that he was not being serious and taking pride in his work. B had tried ways and means to put it across to him that he was just not interested in business but to no avail.

One day A asked B to do up a proposal involving a big client of the company and gave him a day’s grace. This was a great chance to let B prove himself to the company. Despite it being an opportunity to shine, B was not at all happy. He felt that he was being tortured, having to face piles of documents to analyse. The day came for him to hand in the proposal to his dad.

B: “Dad, I know it’s disappointing but I tried my best. I know you are disappointed in me.”

A: “Go back and redo this proposal. I will give you 3 days’ grace.”

B: “But, no matter how long you give me, I can only come up with this!”

A: “If you don’t know how to write, you can ask me!”

B: “I am not business savvy! My interests are not in business! No matter how hard I try, I will not be able to perform! Why don’t you let me do something I like?!”

A does not agree with his son and thus a fight between son and dad broke out, straining their relationship.

What could A and B have done in order to prevent this conflict?

Just for laughs =)







6 comments:

  1. That is an interesting scenario. We have two rather stubborn characters.

    Conflicts within the family can be difficult to resolve. The only way that those two would be able to recolve their problems would be to have a nice long talk with each others.

    However, even if they have the talk and understand exactly what the aspirations and feelings of the other party are, they have to give each other a chance.

    B can open up a hair saloon where he is the boss. Perhaps, A can invest in his son's saloon and help him to develop his business. Perhaps, one day, B may end up being a business tycoon as well. That way, the aspirations of both A and B are achieved, at least partially.

    Is this what happens in the show?

    Anyway, if B finds it difficult to write proposals and so on, maybe he can take ES2007S module first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I caught a few episodes of that drama serial too!!

    I felt that the dad is too protective towards his son and neglect that his son has his own dreams too. I understand that parents would want their children to take over their business (if you have one) or have a successful career of their own, but we should also be given a chance to learn from our failure. The dad should be more supportive instead of forcing his son to accept his idea.

    I agree with bei ning that it is better to involve the mom, who will most likely be the neutral party in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scenario sounds totally like those HK drama storyline.

    Like what Idris has mentioned, the two characters are very stubborn. Neither of them are willing to give in to each other. The dad is not willing to allow his son to fulfill his aspiration and ambitions while the son did not even try his best for the current work he is doing. When he was given a chance to do a proposal, he sees it as a torture and concludes that he would not be able to do it.

    Usually in this kind of situation, both parties are blinded by their own plight and I would think that a 3rd party is needed to help them see the 'light'. It would be more preferable if the 3rd party is also a family member, say the mother. So both father and son should talk to mother about their problems and complains they have for the other party and ask for a unbiased advice from the mother. After which all three of them can sit together and work out a plan which would satisfy both parties.

    The drama goes on and it would usually end in such a way. Dad decides to give son a chance and give him a time period to prove that he is able to excel in his chosen line of work. Then 5 years later son becomes a successful hairstylist and has a famous hairdressing chain. Both father and son resolves the conflict and they live happily ever after

    -------------------Drama End--------------------

    ReplyDelete