Sunday, November 8, 2009

Reflections on Oral Presentation


Finally, the most dreaded part of the module - OP. It was really a nerve wrecking experience but it was better than i expected =)

Though i prepared cue cards (ok.. my cue cards a bit big haha), i knew that i should only refer to it only when necessary and not throughout the presentation. I was freaking out when i was practising at home as i could not remember what i was supposed to say! I really really freaked out as this did not happen during our peer teaching session. I was more relaxed compared to OP. This may be because i was presenting a part that i was not very familiar with. Nonetheless, i kept practising till i could get the content flow right.

Monday morning came. We were supposed to be the last group to present so that calmed me down a little as there were butterflies in my stomach. I was afraid my mind would blank out during my turn to present thus i kept trying to refresh my memory. However, we became the 2nd group to present. Imagine how fast my heart was beating when Christine asked us to go first! I had to take long deep breaths to calm myself down while waiting for MJ to finish presenting her part.

My turn came. I was still very nervous and i skipped some content as i forgot to elaborate on the points. After my turn was over i heaved a huge sigh of relief. Christine said that i was less nervous than BN and MJ though i was a bit fast in my delivery. Little does she know that that was actually sign of my nervousness. HAHA!! When i am nervous i tend to speak faster.

During the QnA session, i think it was a little messy but other than that it was quite good as we managed to answer all the questions thrown at us =)

Whew! OP is finally over.. and this sort of marks the end of the ES2007s module. I was really happy that OP was over. It was like a huge load off my shoulders as the workload for this module is not that light. OP served as a good experience to me and a start to training me for the workplace in future as presentations are inevitable. OP has made me realise that speaking in front of the class is not that frightening after all! =)

3 comments:

  1. I really surprised that you were nervous during the presentation. If you were, you certainly masked it very well. I thought your presentation went fairly smoothly and there were not overt moments of panic. You and your groupmates did a fantastic job in presenting and also your questions and answer section.

    As a side note, it was interesting to know how relaxed you were when Jin and I were presenting. If I was in your position, I would very likely be running through my own presentation in my head as the other groups' presenters would be speaking. That would have been stressful. That was why I chose to be the first to present. I really did not have enough time to be sufficiently stressed about the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angelina,

    I am impressed that your presentation went so well despite the fact that you were nervous! You really did a good job, kudos to you!

    From what I saw, you were very well-prepared and knew what exactly to say for your part of the presentation. Although I did think you went a little too fast, that did not change my impression that you were confident and really good in your presentation skills. :)

    I want to apologize as well for "throwing a bomb" at your team, causing you guys to have to go ahead first. I'm sorry! I'm glad you guys still did very well in the end (so I feel less guilty). Haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo sis,

    I'm glad OP is over!! It was really nerve wrecking for us. But despite all that I think you did great. You sounded more confident as compared to our first presentation when we were doing the peer teaching and I believe with more experiences like this your oral presentation skills will certainly improve.

    I should not have presented after you! You were so good you made me look bad. Hahaha! Ok, I'm kidding =P

    ReplyDelete